Colon and Rectal Cancer Care in Brevard County
Colorectal cancer is a collective term used to describe cancer that begins in the colon or in the rectum. Depending on where they start, these cancers can also be named colon cancer or rectal cancer. Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women in the United States.
Were You Recently Diagnosed with Colorectal Cancer?
If you or someone you know has been recently diagnosed with colon or rectal cancer, you probably have many questions that need to be answered before making important decisions. Take time to learn about what you can expect during the treatment process, the types of doctors you'll visit, and common questions that many patients have as a part of understanding their diagnosis, treatment options, and prognosis.
Specialists in Colorectal Cancer Are Closeby
Treatment for colon and rectal cancers may begin at a cancer center led by a medical oncologist. This is often the starting point, even before surgery is performed if needed.
For many cancer patients, a medical oncologist oversees the entire process of cancer treatment, acting as the lead physician for your team of medical professionals. Your oncologist will help you evaluate the options and assist in determining the best combination and timing for various types of cancer treatments.
The colorectal specialists at Cancer Care Centers of Brevard are experienced in the various aspects of colon cancer and rectal cancer treatment including clinical research trials investigating new therapies and combinations of therapies. Make an appointment at one of our cancer centers located throughout the Space Coast including Palm Bay, Melbourne, Merrit Island, Rockledge, and Sebastian, FL.
Signs & Symptoms of Colorectal Cancer
Most cases of colorectal cancer develop from noncancerous (benign) polyps, which over time, can develop into cancer. During the early stages of the disease, symptoms may be minor or even non-existent, which is why doctors recommend regular colorectal cancer screening tests after the age of 50 for most people.
Detecting and Diagnosing Colorectal Cancers
As with most other cancers, colorectal cancer doesn’t always come with obvious signs and symptoms until the disease has spread to a more advanced stage. This is why it’s important to understand your family history and talk with your primary care physician about scheduling regular colorectal cancer screening.
Staging Colon and Rectal Cancers
If the biopsy shows that cancer is present, your doctor will need to know the extent, or stage, of the disease in order to plan the best treatment. The stage is based on whether the tumor has invaded nearby tissues, whether the cancer has spread and, if so, to what parts of the body.
Treatment Options for Colon and Rectal Cancers
The choice of treatment depends mainly on the location of the tumor in the colon or rectum and the stage of the disease. Treatment for colorectal cancer may involve surgery, chemotherapy, biological therapy, or radiation therapy. Some people have a combination of treatments.
Risk Factors for Colon and Rectal Cancers
When it comes to colon and rectal (colorectal) cancer, research has shown that people with certain risk factors are more likely than others to develop the disease. While some factors like diet and lifestyle choices can be controlled, others, such as age and family history cannot.
Genetics of Colon and Rectal Cancers
Most colon and rectal (colorectal) cancers are not considered hereditary in, meaning that it isn't passed down from one family member to another. Research indicates that an inherited gene mutation causes only about 5% of all colorectal cancers. The remaining 95% are caused by a mutation of a gene acquired during a person's lifetime (non-genetic).
Importance of Colorectal Cancer Research
Clinical research for the treatment of colorectal cancer has brought many new therapies to patients with colon and rectal cancer over the past two decades. Creating new and better ways to treat colorectal cancer is exactly why Cancer Care Centers of Brevard is dedicated to actively participating in clinical trials for colon and rectal cancers.
Living As A Survivor of Colorectal Cancer
Life after colorectal cancer can bring a mixture of feelings moving forward, but one of the most important things to do for yourself is develop a survivorship plan. Follow-up care for colorectal cancer survivors is very important and can last for several years after treatment is complete. Not only will your cancer care team keep an eye on any new cancer development, they can also help you with side effect management.